Re: Glorantha Digest V1 #267

From: mr happy (ajbehan@alf2.tcd.ie)
Date: Mon 08 May 1995 - 14:03:28 EEST

Sandy Petersen says:
> Peter M. weighs in on my side.
> >Arkat =/= Chaos? He destroyed half of Genertela in his crusade. If
> >that's not Chaos in action, I don't know what is. Note Arkat
> >becomes more destructive as his crusade progresses. So what was
> the >*real* purpose of his crusade? A Race against Time perhaps?
> Exactly. Also, note that more than just Arkat the Deceiver
> used chaos, if you concur with the secret wisdom that he was
> illuminated, or even Gbaji himself.

If Arkat was n't illuminated how could he have possibly gotten away with joining so many cults?

> Harrek has no culture. Harrek has no cult. He belongs to no
> religion, has no faith. He is a loner, stimulated into action
> almost exclusively by hatred, greed, and fear, and his friendship
> with Argrath is the one pathetic redeeming characteristic he has.
> Note that he abandoned his kingdom for Argrath.

Is n't this the essence of the Superhero? A Heroquester like Arkat who has so many loyalties that they cancel out or like Harrek who has none; a high level D&D character let loose in Glorantha. I think in TotRM #7 it said something to the effect that a hero is a little version of their god whereas a Superhero is a little god.
- -----
Andrew Behan
e-mail: ajbehan@alf2.tcd.ie

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #269

RuneQuest is a trademark of Avalon Hill, and Glorantha is a trademark of Chaosium. With the exception of previously copyrighted material, unless specified otherwise all text in this digest is copyright by the author or authors, with rights granted to copy for personal use, to excerpt in reviews and replies, and to archive unchanged for electronic retrieval.