A Solar View of Illumination

From: Bryan J. Maloney (bjm10@cornell.edu)
Date: Sun 14 May 1995 - 15:14:50 EEST

The following is a speech made by a retired Dara Happan legionnaire to his son upon that son joining Yelm the Warrior.

Son, I think it's time I told you about Illumination. You're going to hear all kinds of nonsense from these barbarians down here in Pavis County. Don't you listen to a word of it. Don't pay any attention to the twaddle that the Reds (Luna religious authorities) throw at you, either. Illumination isn't about chaos, any more than the Light of Yelm is about a pile of manure.

Illumination is just another way for Yelm's Light to work through you. It's nothing more than your spiritual eyes opening to Yelm's Light, like your material eyes already have. We're impure by nature, you know. Water flows through our veins and runs from our eyes. Our bodies are hard and solid like earth. You've heard it all before. Anyway, most folk can't really see Yelm's Light--not with their spirits. Illuminated people have learned to do it.

Now, Illumination lets you see things as they are. It's like you've gone through life with one eye covered before. You get some idea of what's going on, but you can't really reach out and touch or shoot things with any accuracy.

Now, where's chaos come in? Illumination lets you see chaos from all sides, not just the little bit we see without Illumination. That still doesn't make chaos any good. Shit is shit, no matter how well you can see it. I've taught you to use a sword, a spear, and a bow, boy, but that doesn't mean it's okay for you to commit murder with them, does it?

Anyway, that's Illumination, boy. It's not some chaos god, and it's not some way to make chaos "acceptable". It's just the Light of Yelm entering your spirit and letting you see things more clearly. It doesn't change what is wrong and what is write.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #278

RuneQuest is a trademark of Avalon Hill, and Glorantha is a trademark of Chaosium. With the exception of previously copyrighted material, unless specified otherwise all text in this digest is copyright by the author or authors, with rights granted to copy for personal use, to excerpt in reviews and replies, and to archive unchanged for electronic retrieval.