Archaic customs

From: Peter Metcalfe (P.Metcalfe@cantva.canterbury.ac.nz)
Date: Wed 31 May 1995 - 10:44:39 EEST

Andrew Joelson:

>Peter Metcalf[e] wrote:

>>Similar archaic
>> pratices have survived for long periods of time (Jewish circumcision etc)

> Archaic?

My mistake. I forgot to specify the time period over what I was talking about. I was thinking of how the practice was once common in the Middle East 2nd millenium BC but in Augustus's time, only the Jews were practicing it (mainly for cultural identity).

>Is that why most western hospitals circumcise male babies?
>Gee, I thought it had something to do with general cleanliness and inhibiting
>disease.....

What diseases does circumcision inhibit? The only ones I know of are some forms of urethal cancer which is hardly prevalent enough to be the cause of the practice.