archiac rites

From: Klaus Ole Kristiansen (klaus@diku.dk)
Date: Wed 31 May 1995 - 14:49:37 EEST

joelsona@cpdmfg.cig.mot.com (Andrew Joelson) writes:
>Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 18:52:34 -0500

>Peter Metcalf wrote:
>> Similar archaic
>> pratices have survived for long periods of time (Jewish circumcision etc)

> Archaic? Is that why most western hospitals circumcise male babies?
>Gee, I thought it had something to do with general cleanliness and inhibiting
>disease.....

Wrong on both counts. Any European who discovers that you're circumcised is likely to assume you're jewish. A typical reaction when you tell a Dane that many Americans are circumsised: "I know that the Americans are crazy, but they can't be THAT crazy!"

And there is no medical reason for circumcision. When I was 5, I had the edge of my foreskin trimmed off because it was too narrow. The skin was then pulled forward to form a normal foreskin. The doctors would hardly have done that if there was some advantage to circumcision.

Check out the alt.sex.* groups, particularly a.s.motss. They have a major flamewar on this subject about 4 times a year, lasting about 3 months each time.

Klaus O K