Braveheart and Rob Roy are not documentaries, praise Orlanth

From: Loren Miller (loren@hops.wharton.upenn.edu)
Date: Wed 14 Jun 1995 - 06:51:48 EEST

I read DC's rave review, saw Braveheart, and then read MOB and RR's hatchet jobs, and since I'm now quite drunk on cask-conditioned-ale (Yard's IPA, a superb and brand-new, draft-only, brew from the Manayunk section of Philadelphia) I had to write my own, hyphen-ridden piece...

I enjoyed -both- Braveheart and Rob Roy. I've heard plenty of complaints from the Tarantino=God-crowd about Rob Roy being too slow, and poorly paced, etc, and a few less about Braveheart being the same, and the ACT-UP Mel's-a-homophobe-for-portraying-Eddie-II-as-femme spiel, but IMO the movies were both pretty darn good for taking the pulse of ***Mythic*** Scotland. I admit that I found Mr. Gibson's 1st-time-director-over-reliance-on-the- slo-mo-sequence mildly irritating. BUT!!! I enjoy it when a movie takes its time to tell its story, instead of pandering to the supposed 90-minute-maximum- attention-span of most audiences, and so both of these made me quite happy. With both movies I was happy to experience the full story (however historically inaccurate it was, and who f*cking-well cares about historical accuracy anyway, what the bloody-bollocksy-balls is this a documentary?!) instead of getting a chopped up and incomprehensibly mangled version for Hollywood's target audience of morons (remember _Blade Runner_ and _Dune_, anybody?).

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #312

RuneQuest is a trademark of Avalon Hill, and Glorantha is a trademark of Chaosium. With the exception of previously copyrighted material, unless specified otherwise all text in this digest is copyright by the author or authors, with rights granted to copy for personal use, to excerpt in reviews and replies, and to archive unchanged for electronic retrieval.