Re: Runes

From: Sandy Petersen (sandyp@idgecko.idsoftware.com)
Date: Tue 27 Jun 1995 - 00:40:14 EEST

Hans
>Now there are two names which are rather similar: Sheng Seleris
and >Shang Hsa (mhnbc). The second might name well be the Kralorelan
>version of the first. The three main explanations are:
> 1) Pure coincidence.
> 2) Yes, these this is one and the same guy and the dating of
>Emperors should be heavily revised.
> 3) Yes, these this is one and the same guy. The dating of
Emperors >is correct. Argrath's retrieval was the second one. Somebody already >did it once before. But who and why?

>So, tell me which explanation I should choose.

        My belief is that Sheng Seleris and Shang Hsa May-His-Name-Be-Cursed are two different folks from two different ages. However, the names Sheng/Shang are too similar to be coincidence. I believe that the term "Shang" is a title, an honorific if you will, that is given to badasses in Kralorela. Perhaps the equivalent of the Earth Cult particle "Gor".

Dave Dunham re: Dara Happan and Malkioni Law Rune
>The fact that both use a triangle is surely a coincidence. How
many >regular three-sided shapes are there?

        Both cultures also know of the Spike (one of the "universal Gloranthan truths" along with the death of the Sun -- sure everyone interprets it differently, but it still existed), and what better way to symbolize it than a triangle? I suspect that the Pamaltelan Power Rune is not so much a "spear" as it is yet another attempt to symbolize the Spike.

Scott Haney
>Krarsht has the 'hunger' rune, which is obstensibly also the rune
of >the undead. lo! it suddenly seemed to me that the hunger rune looked >very much like the death rune imposed upon the life rune.

        There is another version of the Hunger/Undeath Rune in which it looks a lot like a null sign (a circle with a slash through it and jutting out beyond the sides). Sort of like a computer's version of the number zero (with the stupid diagonal hashmark). 0000000

>So I started to wonder if perhaps it was not a coincidence that
>there are six types of chaos and six pairs of power runes. (I'm
>assuming that the communications rune has an opposite of some
>sort...silence, maybe?)

        I'm sure that Pamaltela has a Silence Rune, given the prevalence of the cult of Silence there until very recently. Or maybe it's the Introspection Rune or something. I doubt it's considered an opposite of anything.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #330

RuneQuest is a trademark of Avalon Hill, and Glorantha is a trademark of Chaosium. With the exception of previously copyrighted material, unless specified otherwise all text in this digest is copyright by the author or authors, with rights granted to copy for personal use, to excerpt in reviews and replies, and to archive unchanged for electronic retrieval.