[Glorantha]Mysticism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:11:31 +1200

Mikko Rintasaari:

>What is the take on mysticism these days? I don't necessarily need
>mechanics so much as a rough grip on how it works and how powerful it is.

Still exists. Beyond that nobody knows nothing for sure. Failed Mystics can become as powerful as anybody else in Glorantha.

>What are the powers of a regular one.

Good mystics don't have powers as their mystical insight is materially useless. Not-so-good mystics may have some but they should be trying to get rid of it.

Martial artists and the like have loads of magic but they aren't mystics.

>The image that has come to my mind are psionic powers, a modern take would
>be the Jedi-knight, I suppose. Mind over matter, or rather over reality.

That would be a sorcerous type of martial artist. Suggestions have been made about a mortal world type of martial artist that improves all parts of himself but nothing concrete has been seen about that.

>Hero Wars seem to suggest that exerting this power is potentially very
>harmful to the mystic, especially if he/she fails in the attempt.

That's because the failed mystic (I'm not including the Martial Artists) is destroying his eternal self for short-sighted ends.

>Also mystics don't have an otherworld to draw power from, so they draw on
>their own resources.

Yes and no.

>There may or may not be a link between mysticism and the draconic
>practises of the EWF.

I would say that mystical austerities was only one of the draconic practices.

--Peter Metcalfe

End of Glorantha Digest Received on Thu 15 Apr 2004 - 05:32:42 EEST