[Glorantha]Re: Mysticism

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:52:16 -0700 (PDT)

Simon Hibbs, responding to me, or perhaps a straw man that he thinks looks a bit like me:

> >3. No one would ever play a successful Mystic.
> >100% success in Mysticism takes the character
> >out of play. The closest would be someone who
> >attempts to become a Mystic, gets trapped by the
> >power of his Mystical insights, and continues to
> >try to transcend them. ("I will not use my
> >Crushing Hand of Doom because my hand
> >is just an illusion, as is my enemy.")
>
> Sure, but reaching that realisation is the end
> point of the Mystic's path to enlightenment. A
> mystic that is on that path but hansn't reached
> the end point by definition is still engaged with
> the world of illusion and is still trying to muddle
> through it all. I just don't see why we can't play
> characters going through that process.

I agree. How is that different from what I said? Is it just that you are looking at the mystic's path from the beginning of the road? (The whole issue of what you call a mystic that has not yet succeeded, where "failed" mystic feels like we've written them off?) If so, I agree.

> When they finaly reach the point when they
> achieve some level of enlightened conciousness
> and are ready to withdraw from the world fine,
> they leave play just like any character that
> realises a Great Secret of their religion, just
> as Li Mu Bai almost does in CTHD.

Again, I agree. How is this different from my statement that "100% success in Mysticism takes the character out of play"?

> What is it about Glorantha that means you can't
> play 'maystical' kung fu types without knowing
> for a fact that your character is a deluded
> fool spouting meaningless drivel?

Ease up, there, amigo. I never said or implied any such thing. I don't think martial arts are particularly mystical. Common magic seems like the most natural description for it. I think more of ascetic schools in which people try to abandon the physical as their first step toward renouncing everything. Think skinny hermits, not Bruce Lee.

Chris Lemens

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25 http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash