Re: [Glorantha]Re: Disasters of mythic proportion

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_csmail.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 00:40:14 +0100

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 06:40:15PM -0400, George W. Harris wrote:
> The hurricane season doesn't really hit full speed until
> September. Who is the Gloranthan god of storms at sea? Someone has really
> pissed him off.

I think you really want the North Atlantic god of storms at sea, no? Maybe try sacrificing a few Florida Republicans to King Neptune -- that has to be at least worth a _try_.

Presumably the short answer to that is "Orlanth", since the "Orlanth depression track" certainly covers vast amounts of the Homeward ocean. In religious terms, I suppose there must be specific "sub-cults" that figure in contexts like HQing the "Storm beats the heck out of Sea" myths, and propitiatory worship by ocean-going cultures, and the Gloranthan equivalent of owners of beach-front property in the American south-east. No idea how these'd be personified as such, though.

Brastalos would also figure in there someplace, but she seems somewhat too "benign" to be the proponent of large-scale destructive storms as such.

Cheers,
Alex.

End of Glorantha Digest Received on Fri 03 Sep 2004 - 06:56:44 EEST