color and dwarves

From: Peter Metcalfe (P.Metcalfe@student.canterbury.ac.nz)
Date: Tue 05 Dec 1995 - 04:22:55 EET

Andrew Behan:
=============

>Does anyone know anything about Vormaino colour magic and it's relation
>to Kralori Mysticism?

Well I do know a little having had a natter with Alex, Sandy and Jim
Catel earlier this year. The Color Magic System was synthesized by
the Imperial Vormain Mystics in the Second Age from imported Kralori
Wisdom. This was a result of complicated political circumstances. In
short the mystics were Imperial Nobility who had nothing else to do
when they were excluded from Power by a new government.

We tossed out Newtonian Optics and came up with the following model.
The Vormaini believe that there are five Colors. They manipulate
the Colors by Color Skills which are akin to the Kralori Mysticism
Skill except that each have a much narrower focus. Together these
skills or lores if you prefer are held to describe the fundamentals
of the universe by the Vormaini. Their list of colors are:

WHITE: Valzain's Color. I think of Valzain as a God of Metal. His
Steadfast Rule helped Vormain survive the Catalysm of the Gods War.

RED: Shukan's Color. He was a former East Isles God. His Isle betrayed
the cause of the East Isles and joined the Vormaini c. 700 ST. This
betrayal helped sink the Fabled Isle of Tamanjary and earns his cultists
the undying hatred of the East Isles and the Ratuki Shark People in
particular.

GREEN: Zaktirra's Color. Zaktirra represents poison.

YELLOW: The Sun Goddess. I forget her name. Connected with Fertility
and all that.

BLUE: Telask's Color. He represents Sea. Storm is merely seen as an
effect of Sea from the Vormain point of view (all storms come from over
the Sea).

'SAPPHIRE': Alatin's Color. Although this actually makes six colours,
the Vormaini insist that Alatin represents the Power of the Void (not
Chaos). So his spells would be Drain and not Tap. And since 5 + 0 = 5,
the Vormaini say there are five colors.

Telask we felt is not a color god. He is however the son of Shukan and
from what I have heard, he also appears to be worshipped by some East
Isle dudes.

As to how the colors were used, we never actually hammered a consensus
or even wrote any rules. IMO, there are two poles of color magic use.

The first is to select a Color God as a personal Patron. The quality
of a magic is dependant on how good the color skill is. The God
worshipped via the color lore is little more than an abstraction of
the normal cult he has elsewhere.

The second is to use the Colors as akin to Runes and believe that they
are the building blocks of the universe. This is a more mystical path
and is potentially much stronger. A mystic seeing a magical effect
could replicate it given sufficient time and study. Normally because
of the insularity of Vormain, these mystics generally only find Vormaini
magic to duplicate. The main use of this path however is to gain
enlightenment.

Each way has tradeoffs. Worshipping Skukan via the Color will allow you
to learn Beserk much easier than trying to duplicate it via the School
of Five Colors. But you will be limited in the effects you can achieve.
And worshipping two colors will be less effective than following the
School of Five Colors. Normally many color schools adopt a mixture of
both ways.

Now all this is not to say that every Vormaini uses Color Magic. The
Gods actually have seperate cults beyond their Colored conceptions and
these are worshipped to some extent all throughout the Vormaini Social
Hierachy. There are also Martial Arts Monk Type dudes and other wierd
mages. The Color magics are simply the most prominent magic philosophy
and one that tends to catch the foreigners eye most often.

Mind you, a list of names was developed making the whole thing sound
more exotic. It's buried among my notes and I haven't gotten round
to sorting them out yet.

Erik Sieurin:
=============

>>>Thus, in an octomonist council which lacks a True Mostali
>>>for one of the seats, the seat will simply be vacant.

I disagreed pointing out that:

>> The True Mostali are very rare, rarer than the Diamondwarves IMO
>> and nobody can make them anymore.

Erik:

>I have no trouble
>seeing there being say 45 TM in the world, and even less trouble
>having 8 (or 6) of them in Diamond Mountain. All IMIHO.

45 True Mostali is far too many IMO. I only know of about 10 and
there could be another 10. Furthermore there are some metals for
which the original True Mostali no longer exist. As for your figures,
why does Diamond Mountain get more than its fair share of True Mostali
compared with much grander places like Nida or Slon? It's hardly its
devotion to Octamonism as True Mostali are not known for treading the
Orthodox line (The Gods War scarred them terribly you see).

Known True Mostali and their suitablility for Diamond Mountain Council
Positions are:.

ROCK: Flintnail Hardeye. Whereabouts unknown. Left Pavis with no
forwarding address. Thought to be totally unfit for duty.

COPPER: None known.

LEAD: Several are known to live in Slon. Perhaps one _could_ be
persuaded to act as lead spokesman for Diamond Mountain. But these
Lead Dwarves actually like to rule humans which conflicts with the
principles of Octamony.

BRASS: Martaler of the Blazing Forge. Rules Gemborg. Also known as
Greedy. His lust for Diamonds make him unsuitable for duty as he would
never give them up.

QUICKSILVER: Isidilian the Wise. Rules Dwarf Run. His Openhandist
Philosophy is known to be inconsistent with the Octamonist principles.

TIN: None known.

SILVER: None known.

GOLD: None known.

>> I don't think the Dwarves become more mineralic and machine-like
>> physically as they reach Diamondwarf status although they certainly
>> do so mentally.

>According to ES, Diamonddwarves get "mechanical" apparatus growing on
>them (wedges, hammers, etc) and accquire other machine-like physical
>abilities - this does not have to be interpreted as I did but the
>interpretation is a valid one (IMUIHO, of course).

It's stated that the appendatures only appear when the dwarves want
them to. It's a bit inconvient having tools for hands all day long.
Watch 'Edward Scissorhands' for proof. I don't see how this conflicts
with the spiritual mineralization. IMO it's akin to a Gorgorma
Cultist's Second Mouth or a Krarsht's Tongue.

>Furthermore, the
>Individualists said about Chark the Deliberator that he was so pious
>that his body (or was it his bones?) turned to stone.

His bones turned to stone. Chark the Liberator cannot have been Pious
according to Orthodox Mostali and so I assume that his bones turning to
stone means something else. In the Haunted Ruins there is mention of a
corpse with some sort of stone organs and some weird comment was attached
to this saying that it was the remains of a HeroQuester. I presume Chark
did something similar.

Nick Fortune:
=============

>I thought of two possibilities. The first was that the gypsy people of
>Fronela and Ralios were Praxian Horsemen who fled from the devil and
>kept on westward for a long time.

Some Pentish Horsemen, I think, did flee westwards after the disaster
of Argentium Thi'rile. Your gypsies could still say they could have
fled from the Devil. After all, RW gypsies claimed to originally be
Egyptains whereas their language is actually closely related to the
Indo-Aryan Tongues of North India.

- --Peter Metcalfe