Brooke-ing No Dissent

From: Brian K. Curley (Master of Time & Space) (bkc@axle.adp.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue 06 Feb 1996 - 04:45:10 EET

On Mon, 5 Feb 1996 owner-glorantha-digest@hops.wharton.upenn.edu wrote:
> > ritual of the utuma, but neglects to notice that the ritual is
> > "voluntary" and involves *self*-dismemberment.
>
> I take it this "neglect" is deduced from my sentence:
>
> : So, the secret of the ceremonial utuma appears to be that it is a
> : *voluntary* act of ceremonial suicide by self-dismemberment...
>
> Gosh, you're so perceptive, Brian!

I didn't say you neglected to "say" it, but that you negelected to see
what it meant. You Lunies are so desperate to find some way to deny that
your bloated empire fell to the hands of someone you consider beneath you.

> The point is: you barbarians may *think* you killed the Red Goddess, but she (in
> effect) *forced* you to be the agents of her transcendent self-dismemberment.
> When the Dragonewts commit utuma, they utilise a ceremonial knife: not a part of
> their bodies. When the Goddess of the Red Moon did so, she used Argrath.

Yeah... yeah... a desperate, lost soul can convince himself of anything.
Sounds like nothing more than a prolonged episode of Mass Hysteria. If
you're willing to deny the obvious, then literally anything can be true.

> Or (RW analogy) like arguing that Christ's crucifixion was part of some divine
> plan to redeem the world, instead of a wonderful event in which an alliance of
> Roman and Jewish authorities successfully derailed YHWH's inhuman plans for our
> "salvation" by some evil Messiah? "Come off it, Nick: they nailed him up there.
> He's dead! How can you claim the Christians won in 33AD?"

If you want to talk RW then (atheist opinion coming up) the crucifixion
was nothing more than the Roman Empire attempting to eliminate a
trouble-maker, and the Jewish authorities becoming more or less
accessories in letting it happen. Unlike the Lunar Empire, Christianity
survived. You can claim that what follows the destruction of the Red
Moon *is* the Lunar Empire, just in an evolved state, but you've got
nothing to support that accept to simply declare it to be true.

> > She had no choice in the matter, she was destroyed by Argrath's forces.
> > And unless there's a real language barrier in there, I don't think she
> > dismembered herself. I remember reading that the draconic forces (Nick's
> > terminology) did it.
>
> Let's talk about 'wielding': you barbarians are so easily led. The Goddess
> shaped Argrath into a pliant tool, then used him, used his Draconic forces. He
> couldn't help destroying her, as she wished to be destroyed. You barbarians
> claim that your dead god Orlanth chose to slay Yelm the Emperor; you forget that
> it was Annilla, the Lunar goddess of Secrets and Assassins, who led that
> conspiracy.

And you Lunies are so blind it's a wonder you don't all wear stripes and
plaids together. The Red Goddess no more used Argrath than I use the

thief with the gun because I think I have too much money (so I go out, in
to a dangerous neighborhood with money in my pocket to relieve myself of
it). She couldn't *prevent* Argrath from destroying her, and her
pathetic followers can't bring themselves to admit that they followed a
goddess created by a mortals and destroyed by one. And I'm sure the
Lunies *want* to believe that Annilla manipulated Orlanth, but then again
the Lunies want to believe a lot of hogwash.

> Never to learn from the past: this is the fate of the ignorant. Like the vilest
> chaos abomination, these foolish Orlanthi can nonetheless serve as horrible
> warnings to civilised folk everywhere.

Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it. Do not
repeat the mistakes of your ancestors or your civilization will never
surpass their. Is it any wonder that the Lunies, with their cyclical
interpretation of everything are afraid of looking back? To do so would
only serve to prove their culture has gone and is going nowhere.

Brian