Basmol

From: David Cake (davidc@cyllene.uwa.edu.au)
Date: Thu 08 Feb 1996 - 08:01:54 EET

>but Basmol was killed (I'm working up a myth where Trickster causes Humath
>to do the dirty deed), and this mythical act had a significant physical
>impact.

        A minor note from the Lore auction, for those who remember the
Digest controversy over this relatively innocuous point of myth - a
carefully worded question to Greg confirmed that the Basmoli of Prax believe
that Waha killed Basmol.
        Which doesn't mean that I want to shoot down Daves myth before it
even appears - his is a Ralian myth, they believe strange things.
        And I think in Pamaltela, Basmol is still alive. And if there are
any Basmoli there, they have lions.
        On a more general note, he also made explicit the difference between
'dead' and 'gone', for gods specifically. Basmol is only dead - this weakens
him, but he is still worshipped, and his worshippers can still receive magic
from him (though in general they are much worse off than the days when
Basmol was still alive and the tribe was accompanied by a tribe of lions).
But gods that are 'gone' (such as those eaten by Chaos) can grant no magic.

        Basmol
Computing Officer |"Our machines are disturbingly lively,
Arts Faculty UWA |and we ourselves frighteningly inert."
davidc@cs.uwa.edu.au | -Donna Haraway