Re: God Learners--wrong or wrong?

From: Argrath@aol.com
Date: Sat 10 Feb 1996 - 16:48:59 EET

In Glorantha Digest V2 #377, Nils W. writes:

>OK, how about this: the GLs were dangerously "right" because they came
>close to fixating the universe in their paradigm, which would have
>squashed all the others.

It's dangerous to jump onto a moving train or an old thread, but I would like
to point out that competing worldviews is a theme of Glorantha as a literary
field. From that perspective, it's clear that there either is no Truth or
that the Truth is unknowable, take your pick. However, certain worldviews
are more effective than others at Heroquesting (a/k/a worldview combat) in
either the short or the long run. Much like Western Rationalism is more
effective than other Terran worldviews in killing people and imposing its own
culture elsewhere.

     Though it's dangerous to generalize from single instances, the lesson of
the GL's seems to be that they were tremendously successful in the short run
(century-scale), but disastrously unsuccessful in the long run (Age-scale).
 Does that make them "right" or "wrong"? Answer: mu.

- --Martin