Re: Feathered Queen(s)

From: Argrath@aol.com
Date: Fri 16 Feb 1996 - 21:00:46 EET

In Glorantha Digest V2 #382, Joerg Baumgartner writes:

>Another question I need answered to even consider Peter's theory of two
>feathered queens is: What is the Feather connection of the priestesses of
>Sorana Tor? Where is any Earth myth having feathered beasts, or people?
>Sorana Tor's beasts of choice are the Earth Shakers aka dinosaurs. Are these
>feathered, or have they ever been?

Are these relevant questions? The reference on KoS p. 127 is to the
Feathered Queen of the Kerofin temple, whom Moirades married to become the
third king of DP. While it's tempting to identify her with the FHQ, Occam's
Razor (as applied by Nick) doesn't cut the mustard here because (a) FQ =/ FHQ
and (b) Kerofin is not in the Grazelands. I suggest there are two queens,
the well-known FHQ and the once-mentioned, possibly spurious or ersatz FQ of
Kerofin. Moirades was "doing the Lunar thing," i.e., cheating, by marrying
someone similar to the FHQ in order to claim to be King of DP. So the mythic
appropriateness of a feathered queen in the earth temple of Kerofin is moot.
 The FQ could have been cooked up simply for this one purpose, in imitation
of the FHQ, without regard to mythic appropriateness.

Besides, why not feathered dinosaurs? There are scientists who claim that
birds are feathered dinosaurs, and the warm-blooded-dinosaur school
postulates some kind of skin-covering. And that's Earth, which is at best
analogous to Glorantha.

- --Martin Crim