Re: intolerance and Malkioni

From: Sandy Petersen (sandyp@idgecko.idsoftware.com)
Date: Wed 21 Feb 1996 - 04:34:47 EET

Nils, being highly irrational
>I agree that there are probably many commendable traits in
malkioni society, >it's just that intolerance ticks me off like
nothing else. So, what's >irrational about my dislike is that it is
founded on one single piece of all >that the malkioni are.

Nils -- get a grip. There are no Gloranthan societies LESS tolerant
than the theists. Consider --

The Malkioni believe their religion is the best.
        So do theists. So?

The Malkioni believe that theists ought to convert to Malkionism.
        The theists believe that folks that don't believe in their
particular pantheon ought to be killed, ostracized, or at least kept
very far away.

The Malkioni consciously refrain from certain deeds that they
perceive as evil. (examples -- breaking caste rules, casting Tap,
etc.)
        The theists are forced to be good because of Spirits of
Reprisal.

Despite their reputation, the Malkioni have not historically forced
conquered peoples to adopt their theology. From the Six-Legged
Empire to Richard the Tiger-Hearted, even black-hearted villains
have permitted the former society to exist alongside their own as a
separate, though unequal, religious system. Sometimes they even
alter their _own_ Malkionism to incorporate the new peoples. The
Carmanians are not an easy-going people, but they permit their
peasants to worship the Old Ways.
        Conquering theists invariably shoehorn the subjugated
theology into their own system, forcing their serfs to adopt the
dominant gods into their own pantheon.

Malkioni believe that Orlanth, Yelm, etc. are huge spirits with
vast power and little free will. If you dutifully serve these
spirits, they will give you magic.
        Theists believe that Orlanth, Yelm, etc. are huge spirits
with vast power and little free will. If you dutifully serve these
spirits, they will give you magic.

The Malkioni believe that Orlanth, Yelm, etc. work just exactly
like the theists say they do, and that these entities are just
exactly _what_ the theists claim. Many Malkioni philosophers even

agree that these gods provide an afterlife, and even that the souls
of theistic worshipers are reincarnated after a time.
        The Theists believe that the Malkioni way of life is
founded on a lie, and that all the Malkioni are doomed to oblivion
or hell at death, and that everything the Malkioni believe is a lie.
Who is less tolerant?

Most Malkioni are rather anti-theist. Why is this? Because of
actual contact with aforementioned theists, who have invariably
proven warlike and unwilling to compromise.

NOTE: where I write "the Malkioni" above, I am referring to
"mainstream" Malkioni, and ditto for "theists". Think of Yelmites,
Orlanthi, Praxians, etc., Not obscure sects like the Dorasta Shrine.

Sandy P.
Sandy P.