spolites and hills of gold

From: Peter Metcalfe (P.Metcalfe@student.canterbury.ac.nz)
Date: Fri 23 Feb 1996 - 05:54:33 EET

Nick Brooke:
============

>The Spolites, too, may have valued the comfort and security of knowing you
>are part of the Darkness. I'm not sure yet just what the Spolite Way was
>(apart, of course, from including Evil Black Witchery, Nysalorian Amorality,
>Bull-shaped Braziers, and Oppressive Gloom).

The Umbarians/Spolites weren't actually Nysalorians as the Vorandevu
process [*] failed to work against them. However some Gloom Cults did
incorporate Nysalorianism into their rituals (the Good Old Shadow I
think).

As for the Spolite way, as the Dara Happan Senate became converts to
it, I think it has to have some intellectual appeal. Perhaps it
originally was a philosophy that the Lowest 25 Gods should be worshipped
as well as the other 75 in the belief that the Sky will return to
Rightness? Then the Spolites and other Gloomy cults had their origins
in the exploration of these gods and the resulting corruption to the
Dark Side.

[*] Vorandevu process: A 'messy' process in determining whether somebody
     is an illuminate. Personally I think it combines the Blade-runner
     (Huge Magnifying Glass, asking meaningless questions and judging the
     emotional responses), Brazil (takes place in a huge tower, blood stained
     Dayzatar Priest dressed in a white smock, Star Captains reading to
     descend at a moments notice) and Clockwork Orange (Victim is forced to
     watch Astrological Conjunctions whilst the Music of the Spheres is
     played in the background).

>the "Hill of Gold" might be a ritual ziggurat, and the contest there between
>the various gods an attempt to make a new Emperor in the Great Darkness

The major unresolved point I have with this is that the Hills of Gold
seems to be an untamed magical area that is permanently active as
opposed to the Emperor's Ziggurat in Raibanth. Hence my belief that

something went Wrong in the making.

- --Peter Metcalfe