Loskalm

From: Nick Brooke (D&T CAS) (100656.1216@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed 28 Feb 1996 - 19:12:30 EET

_____
Frank writes:

> I don't think westerners quest in the same way as other cultures...
> I think the most common form of heroquesting in the west would be
> pilgrimages: a relatively low powered form of heroquesting, accessible
> to almost everybody.

An excellent suggestion, IMHO: I particularly like the link to obtaining patron
saints (it's always nice to have some requirement beyond "Sacrifice POW").

I don't think any of the Gloranthan cultures *perceive* their heroquesting in
the same way as the others do, even though they are all interacting with the
same mythic realities. The Westerners, as monotheist/humanists, will be perhaps
be even more different than Lunar vs. Orlanthi, or Yelmic vs. Praxian perception
and experience of the otherworld.

I think a second, less common (and more "powerful") model for Western
heroquesting would be knight-errantry. You know, like in those Arthurian
Romances where a knight can ride just half a day from Camelot and finds himself
facing symbolic and magical foes, strange castles and kingdoms and tests which
properly belong on the Other Side. This might be *exactly* how a Western Knight
would set out on some strange Adventure (anyone thinking of Snodal? or
Hrestol?). The blur between "magical" Glorantha and the Hero Plane makes it
possible to "slip across" at any point.

The characters encountered on the knight's quest could be the Western
monotheist's perceptions of pagan deities: cf. the book "The Real Camelot" and
sundry other publications (including various Pendragon adventures) for more on
pagan survivals into Arthurian/Christian legends. Thus a Hrestoli Knight-Errant
meets the grim and silent Black Knight at a ford, where an Orlanthi would have
encountered (and recognised) Humakt. Whereas in the Middle Ages, such encounters
were survivals from ancient mythologies, in Glorantha they could also be
intrusions from "live" myths.

Perhaps the Westerners *deliberately* don't discover or assign proper names for
the entities they encounter on their quest/journeys. This might be related to
the God Learner experience, or magical theories of True Names and giving
substance to impersonal entities. Perhaps it'd be easier to prevent the
Sorrowful Damsel or the Wounded King from growing in importance, or attracting
worship or attention, if you leave them anonymous and don't try to identify them
with pagan deities? This would be a nice Gloranthan justification for the
anonymity you find in many Arthurian legends.

> I see [Lord Death on a Horse] as fanatic Hrestoli! ... In my campaign
> the KoW is going to attack Loskalm until it has twisted Loskalm into
> a ruthless, fanatic and desperate war machine. At that point my KoW
> is going to disappear. Leaving Loskalm with a war machine without aim,
> but with a burning hatred for pagans.

I love this suggestion! Sick, twisted, depraved, confusing... and ever so
logical! Certainly it'd be worth keeping this possibility in mind (along with
the various Mostali, Humakti, War Machine, Chaos Invasion, Troll Front, etc.
theories), just to keep players guessing.

Unfortunately, the Ban makes it difficult to cast the War Lord as Sir Meriatan's
long-lost brother, but maybe you can find a work-around? After all, we don't
*know* that LDoaH was leading the KoW before it emerged from the Ban, do we? :-)

====
Nick
====

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #412