Re: Bellex Maximus

From: Nick Brooke (100270.337@CompuServe.COM)
Date: Thu 02 May 1996 - 11:57:12 EEST

_______________
Mamoru Kurihara asked:

> Who is "Bellex Maximus, the Imperial Overlord"?
> Is the person Red Emperor or Yanafal Ternils' High Lord?

Bellex Maximus was one of the key characters in a game we played last Saturday,
Chris Gidlow's "The Hunt for Red Storm Season". We learned that he was the Lunar
Empire's "Minister of Peace" (i.e. War), commanding the cult of Yanafal Tarnils,
reporting directly to the Red Emperor.

It is hard to be dogmatic about roles at the top end of the Lunar Empire,
because so many cult structures overlap. For example, *everyone* in the upper
reaches of Lunar Government would be close to the Red Emperor in cult as in
life, and probably Illuminated to boot. And I am also pretty sure there is
another "High Priest of Yanafal Tarnils" at Torang, overseeing the spiritual
aspects of the cult as one of the Seven Mothers. But Bellex Maximus directs the
Y.T. cult's primary manifestation in the world, the Red Army.

He would also theoretically command every other expression of Lunar military
might, including the Provincial Army, the Lunar College of Magic, the secretive
corps of the Blue and Black Armies, etc., although inter-service rivalries
prevent this ideal being achieved.

Other PCs in Chris's game included Jar-eel the Razoress, the Red Emperor,
Beat-Pot Aelwrin, the Red Dancer of Power, Great Sister, Tatius the Bright, and
others of their ilk. Lucky old me, I got to play the Red Admiral...

FYI, the High Priest of the Red Emperor's cult would be the Speaker of the
Imperial Senate, fulfilling his expected role as chief sycophant to his living,
debauched and vainglorious Majesty.

====
Nick
====