usefulness/uselessness of powerful NPCs

From: ian (i.) gorlick (igorlick@bnr.ca)
Date: Tue 07 May 1996 - 23:42:00 EEST

Martin Laurie:
> I find that they [powerful NPCs] ... are useful duex ex machina at times.

Which is part of why I don't like them. Deus ex machina (when the protagonists
are rescued by forces from completely outside the narrative) is a crutch for
poor plotting. If you allow yourself to use it, then you tempt yourself to be
sloppy when you create your scenarios. I won't accept it in any fiction I read,

therefore I won't tolerate using it in my scenarios.