Prax == South Georgia?

From: Mike Cule (mikec@room3b.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat 11 May 1996 - 16:55:26 EEST

Martin Crim on 'Why the Lunars hang onto Prax'

> Several people have proposed reasons why the Lunars want to continue to hold
> Prax after grabbing a better warm-water port in Heortland. Though there may
> be rationalizations offered, the actual reason (i.e., the proximate cause)
> is Imperial Inertia. Why'd the French hang onto Indochina? Why is the
> Trust Territory of the Northern Mariana Islands a U.S. protectorate today?
> Why does the U.K. hang onto the island of South Georgia? 'Cause it'd take
> energy to get rid of it, and nobody has the political will to say "let's get
> rid of this white elephant."

Partly true, but Imperial Inertia (and National Pride, let's not forget that!)
aren't the only reasons for Britain hanging on to the South Atlantic Territories
There is also the fact that possession of them gives Britain a seat at the
discussions regarding the explotation of Antarctica, whose natural resources
may become very important in the next century.

Similarly, the Lunars may be planning ahead for when their Total Triumph Over
Everyone allows them to gain control of the The Biggest Lump Of Truestone In
The World and perhaps even harness the magical energy potential of the Chaos
relics said to lie deep beneath the Rubble.....

- --
Mike Cule

Actor and Genius.
AKA Theophilus, Prince-Archbishop of the Far Isles
(Arms: Purpure, an open book proper, without clasps. On the dexter page the
Greek letter Alpha or. On the sinister page the letter Omega of the same.
Motto: nulla spes sit in resistendo.)
Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society:
Better living through pan-medieval anachronisms.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #559

electronic retrieval.

other mailing lists.