elementals damaged by weapons

From: Martin Crim (mcrim@erols.com)
Date: Sat 18 May 1996 - 20:17:59 EEST

Ian Gorlick asks in 2/572 why it is that normal weapons can damage
elementals. I posed this question many years ago to Chaosium, and got back
the reply that elementals had organs inside them which could be hit by
weapons, and destruction of those organs killed the elemental. I'm still
not satisfied with that answer. I'd prefer a more mystical rule, such as the
following:

"Swords are the weapons of storm, and naturally can hurt creatures of
darkness, earth, fire, or water, as those elements were conquered by Storm
in the God Time. Storm even fought against storm, so swords can hurt
sylphs. Likewise, the other elements all turned on themselves at some
point, so (contrary to one's rational expectations) a spear or arrow can
hurt a Salamander, a mace or sling bullet can hurt a Shade, an axe can hurt
a Gnome, and a flail or whip can hurt an Undine."

- --Martin Crim