Ynafal Tarnils

From: Andrew Joelson (joelsona@cpdmfg.cig.mot.com)
Date: Mon 20 May 1996 - 15:24:43 EEST

Hasni Mubarak:

> Yanarfal Tarnils: (How do you spell that name, anyhow?) How do these
> guys justify their existence? I mean, they have to KNOW that they are
> worshiping a mere shadow of the REAL death god, right? Or are they
> really worshiping the Seven Mothers, and that's just a "Hero" cult for
> them?

        Yanafal Tarnils is the normal spelling, (although Tar'nils is
sometimes used). Do not think of YT as a shadow of a _real_ death god,

just about nobody thinks that way in Glorantha. The number of gods
with the death rune is considerable, even Yelm has it.
        YT has two 'cult' types;
1) as a sub-cult of the Seven Mothers, YT is the warrior/protector of
   the borderlands. Many/most of the YT types you run into in Dragon
   Pass are of this type. They look and feel a lot like Humakti (the
   Humakti tend to denigrate them as followers of a rebel/traitor).
2) as the state officers' cult for the Red Army.

                Andrew

PS Glorantha-Con IV, January 24th-26th 1997, Ramada Hotel O'Hare (Chicago)
    This message brought to you by Orlanth-Cola, a real Windy City drink!