welcoming a new view

From: David Cake (davidc@cs.uwa.edu.au)
Date: Tue 21 May 1996 - 14:13:31 EEST

>I get my info about Glorantha only from the list, which is kind of
>frustrating, since you loremasters tend to drop lots of historical info as
>asides.

        Wow! Did you know anything about Glorantha before?
        I imagine the list is a strange introduction to the place!

>ZZABUR
>

>I wonder about that. He found a new way through the Heroplane and ended up
>creating sorcery. And he seems to have created the sea's closing and the
>Syndic's ban(?).

        The Syndics Ban was actually a result of people trying to stop
Zzabur, not Zzabur himself. They killed the God of Silver Feet (Fronelan
communication god) to foil Zzaburs plan.

> Even if Zzabur
>doesn't champion a cause like other heroes, he seems more than just the hero
>who quests for a +100% to himself, because his effects are also very
>powerful on the rest of Glorantha.

        Zzabur probably acts on behalf of the Brithini culture. But then
again, the Brithini culture is largely selfish anyway, just super
conservative at the same time.

>ARKAT/NYSALOR/GBAJI
>
>Arkat fought Nysalor/Gbaji and someone came away from the fight bearing the
>broken body of the other, but the stories never say which. Probably because
>it doesn't matter.

        Arkat fought Nysalor. Gbaji is just a title, which means
'deceiver', while Arkat and Nysalor are historical personages. Actually,
the stories usually say which one won, just not all the stories agree.
        History generally implies that Arkat won (though there are those
that disagree). But both sides disagree on which one was Gbaji.

>Maybe, spiritually Arkat and Nysalor/Gbaji are the same being and in the
>fight, they neutralized each other. Then they both won and lost and it
>doesn't matter physically who was carrying whom.

        Very perceptive. Arkat and Nysalor represent nearly the same thing
- - the illuminated worldview. They have subtly different attitudes to it.
Believers in one believe the other is lieing, and so call them Gbaji.

>I think some of these Gloranthan stories would probably make good novels if
>fictionalized. Gloranthan historical fiction right now seems to concentrate
>on a legend, scholarly folktale kind of style, which is okay as far as it
>goes, but such a style sometimes downplays active conflict so much that it
>ends up lying.

        I agree. I heartily look forward to the first broad sweeping
historical novel set in Glorantha! I have to admit, the psuedo history
style really portrays the grand sweep of Gloranthan history very well.
        There have been a few partial attempts, though nothing completed. I
for one would love read a few more chapters of Chris Gidlow's 'The Seleric
Verses', for example. I can only encourage more.

        Cheers
                David