Waertagi ships

From: Peter Metcalfe (P.Metcalfe@student.canterbury.ac.nz)
Date: Thu 23 May 1996 - 07:26:23 EEST

Ian Gorlick:
============

>One thing that has bothered me for some time about the descriptions of
>the waertagi is their lack of seamanship. These people seem utterly
>dependent upon the use of seamonsters or undines to get about on the
>water. This just doesn't make sense to me. A people that lives
>exclusively at sea ought to be the best seamen in the world.

The Waertagi have great seamanship! Seamanship =/= sailing. IMO The
monsters they use to tow their boats are tame (like elephants) rather
than magically enslaved. It's like using horse-drawn carriages upon
land. Using monsters allows the Waertagi to avoid dependance on the
winds which gives them an advantage over the others. By worshipping
the Doldrums they are able to becalm human shipping whereeas their own
ships are untouched.

On a less than serious note, I've always imagined the Waertagi in
their fastships as Germans in their U-boats rather than model of
goggled-eyed Deep Ones espoused by Nick B. This allows me to
visualize their navy (as well as their larger society) better in
terms of military ranks (OverMagast = Grand Admiral) etc.

On the sailing front, I thought that the Fonritans with their
yachts and dhows were the most sophisticated in the field.

All IMO BTW.

- --Peter Metcalfe