obscure matters

From: Peter Metcalfe (P.Metcalfe@student.canterbury.ac.nz)
Date: Wed 29 May 1996 - 02:57:42 EEST

David Cake:
===========

Asked about a Star called Vettebbe and who it was:

Since Plentonius does not include it in his stellar catalog, it's
my belief that it was a fragment of Kargzant torn off by Lightfore
before the Bridle Conjunction. There are many other celestial bodies
that are not considered good in the eyes of the Buserium (Lorian for
instanse).

As it swooped low and later returned to the Heavens, my impression
is that it was a slow-moving comet which almost entered the lower
air before moving away. Huradabba (Son of Evil) IMO worshipped it
like the Red Emperors worship the Red Moon.

It's my belief that Vettebbe is not visible anymore having been
extinguished by Orlanth's Ring (_if_ I interpret the Fortunate
Succession correctly).

Chris Francis:
==============

>As I recall, the antipathy arose when ducks were blamed for the Starbrow
>rebellion (how and why I don't know -- any ideas?).

Fazzur Wideread's idea. As to why he hated the Ducks so much, I have no
idea. Perhaps one of them kicked sand into his face when very young.

Loren Miller:
=============

LM>>>To become a hero, you need to transform yourself from an ordinary
>>>person into a great person with a goal to free society from a tyrant.

Me>> Hmm? Most Heroes are tyrants in their relation to society IMHO...

>Ask why.

Well, the Hero by being supported by his community often becomes the
Evil Tyrant that oppresses Somebody. For instance, the West remembers
Nysalor with Fear and Loathing. Gerag Kag (the Conquerer of Pavis) was
a Hero to his Uz followers but did the human Pavisites appreciate him?

If the enemy is internal to the Hero's society then he will become the
Evil Tyrant of those who see the Old Tyrant's Social Order as good.

Tyranny in HeroQuest is a subjective viewpoint.

- --Peter Metcalfe