Of beasts and men

From: David Cake (davidc@cs.uwa.edu.au)
Date: Wed 29 May 1996 - 11:53:47 EEST

>Buddhist meditation, in constrast, would be
>represented by the lack of any imagery whatsoever, and how the heck can one
>roleplay such a thing entertainingly and convincingly?

        Buddhist 'heroes' may well spend a lot of time in meditation, and
that is indeed dull to play. But buddhist heroquests are another things
entirely - Buddhist cultures have produced tales of heroes heading down to
hell and similar heroquest type activities. And of course 'Monkey' (aka
'journey to the west') is a classic hero story, and that comes from a
buddhist culture - and at least one of the main heroes is a good buddhist
(the others being decidedly dodgy buddhists).

>I think any HeroQuesting rules are doomed to failure, and feel that a
>diceless structure will best handle the image-based quests, which depend on
>narrative structure and conflict.

        What I actually want from 'HeroQuest' is not necessarily a set of
rules for heroquesting, but a set of guidelines for constructing
heroquests, and a set of rules for coping with Gloranthan style heroic

powers back in the mundane world. I already find most of what I need in
terms of rules for GMing the events of a heroquest in Pendragon, its what
happens once they bring their nifty new powers back to the world that I
want a handle on.

>Like illumination (which results from a HeroQuest IMHO)

Which just goes to show how different some peoples view of both Glorantha
and what is a 'heroquest' differs. The common view of illumination seems to
be that its a purely internal thing, an emotional experience of reexamining
your own attitudes and limitations. While heroquests are about having
yourself tested by others.

 on to other subjects

Evil Stars - I have no disagreement with Peter M.'s opinions, but I am a
little disappointed in them, I was hoping for something a little more
exciting. Anyone else?

Of Beasts and Men

>>Oh, come on, Sandy. While I definitely agree that the winners were
>uplifted
>>by the process, I believe that the losers lost about the same amount.
> I do not.

        I believe that the losers lost something purely because it is cool
to have the hero plane animals be intelligent and worth talking to. I have
no particular justification for this belief, so Sandy's opinion is far more
authoritative, but it is a fun idea.
        Perhaps originally some men were stupid and some smart, and some
animals were stupid and some smart. During Wahas contest, for the
successful tribes the stupid people became smart, and the smart animals
became stupid. Some Praxian species that did not participate in the contest
remain part stupid and part smart - an obvious example being the fish of
the Zola Fel. Maybe baboons too - are there non-sentient baboons on the
praxian plains? I thought that there were some very limited numbers.