What to get Next?

From: Nick Brooke (100270.337@CompuServe.COM)
Date: Fri 26 Jul 1996 - 10:28:03 EEST

________
Jonathan delurks to ask:

> I have been lurking on this list for sometime. I have not been
> playing RQ for very long. I have owned it for years though. All I own
> is the box set does anyone have any suggestions for what to get next?

If you want to play RuneQuest in Glorantha, I'd recommend buying the books "Sun
County" and/or "River of Cradles" as a first purchase. "Sun County" is good
because the Sun Dome Templars in Prax have an isolated, xenophobic culture which
is fairly easy to get the hang of, but is full of flavour for your characters
and adventures (we once characterised them as "uptight Spartans in the Wild
West"). "River of Cradles" includes lots of information about the other peoples
of the river valley the Sun Domers live in. Both campaign packs include some
ready-to-run adventures, and "Shadows on the Borderlands" has more still, all
set in the same area. After that, it's "Ho for the High Plaines!" with "Tales of
the Reaching Moon" #14 and #15 telling you everything you needed to know about
Prax (but were afraid to ask) and including yet more scenarios.

If you like monster-killing, "Dorastor: Land of Doom" and "Lords of Terror" make
a good set about the indisputable Evil Bad Guys of Glorantha (the creatures of
Chaos), with "The Book of Drastic Resolutions" a neat supplementary source.
"Dorastor" has a good campaign setting for new players (the dangerous frontier
settlement of the Risklands), but there's a danger that games here could centre
around "getting tough enough to fight the bad guys" without careful referee
intervention.

If you want to learn about Glorantha as a world, I'd recommend the boxed sets
"Glorantha: Genertela" (orange box) and "Gods of Glorantha" (red box) as a
starting point. Apart from lots of "factual" material presented from a neutral
standpoint, these also have the excellent "What My Father Told Me" and "What The
Priest Said" sections: a page or two presenting a culture's worldview (temporal
and spiritual) in its own terms. By their nature, these are approachable and
player-friendly. I'll also plug our book "Wyrms Footprints" here: although it
includes no RQ stats or rules, it does reprint some of the best Gloranthan
articles ever written, Greg Stafford's 50+ page series on the Gods and Goddesses
of Glorantha, along with another 60 pages of articles (old and new) illuminating
various corners of the world.

My advice would be to avoid the recent, non-RuneQuest publications "King of
Sartar", "The Glorious ReAscent of Yelm" and "The Entekosiad" first time out:
these books contain a fair amount of obscure mythical stuff which would be hard

to fit into a game, given the lack of supporting material (cult writeups,
character generation rules, overview information, etc.). That said, if you can
get the "Dragon Pass" boardgame, "Glorantha" and "King of Sartar", you'll have a
useful set of background information on one of the key Gloranthan settings: we
old hands have been resenting the lack of immediately-playable material in
Sartar since way back when.

If all that information is bewildering, please write again to say where you're
wanting to go with your boxed set. Glorantha is a broad setting (one of the few
fantasy worlds where you can play just about *anyone*, in *any* kind of story),
so there will be a lot of material circulating that may not be immediately
useful to your gaming. (Like, I've not even mentioned the Troll books and boxes,
etc...).

And, finally, if any silly buggers tell you "Your fucked" (sic) or "Buy
everything indiscriminately", report them to me for a quick session of
destructive sarcasm. :-)

====
Nick
====