Sorcery and spirits

From: Peter Metcalfe (P.Metcalfe@student.canterbury.ac.nz)
Date: Wed 04 Sep 1996 - 12:37:07 EEST

Jesper Wahrner:
===============

> Intelligent spirit would as a rule of thumb be more hostile to a sorceror
> than to a shaman. A shaman is, at least in theory, a part of the magic
> ecology of the spiritplane. [...] A sorceror is basically a mere
> predator on the spiritplane.

Predators are part of the ecology too!

Seriously though, I don't believe that Sorcerers maliciously raid the
Spirit Plane for their own ends. (The God Learners *did* do so but
let's not tar all sorcerers with the same brush). Because of how their
magic works, they are more likely to use magic point matrices and spell
matrices instead of crafting spirit binding matrices. Much of their
power comes from their own internal energies. Given this, I don't
believe that a random intelligent spirit in the Otherworld is going to
be hostile to any sorcerers that it meets. It's likely to be far more
concerned about a Shaman that it meets because a Shaman is able to make

it do things it doesn't want to do.

IMO Sorcerers have shitty experiences with the Otherworld because the
main focus of their magic is the *material* world. The Otherworld is
a different set of rules altogether and that is why they avoid it
generally.

- --Peter Metcalfe