Strange relations

From: Carlson, Pam (carlsonp@wdni.com)
Date: Wed 09 Oct 1996 - 23:37:00 EEST

Antony offers his opinion:

> While the Latin features of the Lunar Empire are very obvious,

IMO, they are left over from the old RQ II days, when little was known
about the LE. "Empire?" the players said - "must be Rome!"
(Interestingly, Jeff Richard has said that when he first read RQ, the
first image he formed of the Orlanthi was ancient Greece!)

I like the ancient Indian models for the LE, especially with the
Goddess' emphasis on masks, mysticism and transformation. I kinda think
of the LE as if India had reached out and administered Persia

(Carmania?) and Assyria (DH?). (I know - Persia succeeded Assyria, but
it's the images I'm after, here.)

>The features that I believe would stand out longest and most
obviously are clothing and the worship of the Emperor.

Clothing can be symbolic - after the horse nomads were driven out, the
Dara Happans made a conscious effort to return to the "toga" (probably
the Near Eastern type, from the pic's in GRoY), because pants were
reminiscent of those wretched horse barbarians. Local customs will also
last longer and show more variety due to the lack of mass communication.

> After all this culture [DH] is not being suppress by a conqueror, it is the
conqueror.

While one can't be definitive about a barely described setting in an
imaginary world, here's my impression:

Yes and no. DH (Raibanth and Yuthuppa) was the first ally of the
Goddess, but they later rebelled, unsucessfully. But DH refugees went
to Dara-Ni to escape Lunar rule, and they may have gone south into Saird
as well. (Wild guess - Mirin's Cross & environs were originally built
by Dara Happans, but that may have been Second Age.) After the
rebellion, Dara Happa was divided between several other satraps -
Kostaddi, Scylilla, Darjiian, First Blessed, and the Silver Shadow.
Alkoth, always most resistant to the Lunars and the last to fall in the
rebellion, was left with no lands at all. (According to the Genertela
book, it was even placed within the satrap of Darjiian - but I'm not
sure I believe that one. Maybe the Lunars thought it was the only way
to get Alkoth to stop viewing Darjiini as "usurpers"?) The Lunars
deliberately tried to weaken the unity of the ancient tripolis.

Gradually, DH reconciled to the Lunars, and then began to influence the
new empire. (For example, according to the Genertela Book, Red Fish
was a city founded by Hwarin Dalthippa (up near Yuthuppa, on the Oslir),
to prove that non-Dara Happan urban structure was possible. Before long
it went thoroughly DH.) And DH was certainly well versed in the
tradition of Empire - they must have had a lot of ancient magics
pertaining to the concept.

In the Genertela book, "the Heartlands" are listed as Darsen, Naveria,
and Pelanda - up NW of Raibanth and Glamour. (That's where the typical
Pelandan Heartland hoplites come from, I think.) I think Dara Happa is
still a culturally distinct entity.

But who leads who? Loren has suggested that the Empire's drive for the
coasts of Maniria might be driven by Carmanian mercantile interests, and
Jeff Richard guesses that the drive to take Whitewall may be a Dara
Happan plan to finally destroy the Last Rebel. (They had to tack on
the "building a Reaching Moon temple" part to get the proposal through
Glamour.)

In summary, I think that within the Empire as a whole, Dara Happa is
still quite an obviously different culture from that of Torang or
Pelanda, as is Darjiian, Carmania, and probably Kostaddi. It is
certainly a powerful voice in the empire, but other cultures (those of
illuminated Torang and Pelanda) set the rules.

All IMO. Any thoughts?

Pam