Lowfires and Godlearners

From: Peter Metcalfe (P.Metcalfe@student.canterbury.ac.nz)
Date: Fri 18 Oct 1996 - 02:07:34 EEST

David Cake:
===========

The Lowfires

> But they are also in the Lodril cult writeup as the three Lowfires,
>the children of Lodril. So, does this mean the Lodril writeup (and
>virtually all Lodril stuff pre-GRoY) is simply gregged and wrong? Or does
>the Lodril cult writeup represent the truth of the situation somewhere?

Lodril is also worshipped by the Caladralanders. I would expect
them to have the Lowfires as they are part of the Orlanthi Cultural
Sphere.

The Celestial Court

> I think Peter overstates the case a little - a formation of ten
>celestial bodies was observable phenomenon. But that doesn't mean everybody
>said 'look, ten things in the sky, they must be a collection of deities
>called the Celestial Court'. As the only cultures we know of having the
>concept are neighbouring, it seems reasonable that there is at least some
>connection, especially bearing in mind other similarities.

But the cultures concerned are *not* neighbouring. Brithos lies a
long way from Kerofinela and Peloria. Have a look at the fragment
of the Blue Book (that describes the Darkness Gods Genealogy)
presented in Uz Lore and have a look at the date. Even allowing for
some interpretations and interpolations from the Blue Book, the
Westerners have a pretty coherent mythology despite only just making
contact with the Orlanthi of Dragon Pass.

Me>>I don't see why the God Learners have to thieve from the Theyalans
>>when they have perfectly adequate mythology of their own.

> Hey, they're God Learners. Grabbing other peoples mythology and
>incorporating it into their own schema was what it was all about.

The God Learners were scriptural literalists. They identified foreign
gods as gods from their own mythology rather than the other way around.
If a God Learner were to roam the Praxian plains, he would think of
replacing the Zebras with Horses and the Hyenas with Dogs.

- --Peter Metcalfe

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #236

electronic retrieval.

other mailing lists.