Simony

From: Michael Cule (mikec@room3b.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun 27 Oct 1996 - 13:13:32 EET

Simony is the sin (under Christian canon law) of buying or selling any of the
offices or other holy things of the Church. Bribing someone to make you Pope at
one end of the scale or purchasing holy water or other sacred materials at the

other.

It is named after Simon Magus, a wizard who was so impressed by the miracles
the disciples were pulling that he offered cash to be taught the secrets of
their power. The story is in the Acts of the Apostles.

The legend that Simon later died trying to fly is not in the Bible but is
from apocryphal sources. All the biblical account says is that he was 'abashed'
when the Apostles reproved him. I've worked him into a fantasy novel I'm writing
as the founder of the Church's secret order of wizards. The order feel it is
rather neat to have a founding saint who has a sin named after him!

- --
Michael Cule
Actor and Genius

AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop of the Far Isles
Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistando (Resistance is Uslesss)
Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society:
Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.