Gremlins, Staffs, Leonardo

From: Erik Sieurin (BV9521@utb.hb.se)
Date: Wed 08 Jan 1997 - 16:53:01 EET

Gremlins are created from faulty nilmergs; someone sees to that these
nilmergs become faulty from the beginning, and not all of those
nilmergs are detected. I suppose the Trickster is responsible, in
some way. Waste from recycled dwarfs is used to create nilmergs, imo,
but it is normally not a case of transforming faulty dwarfs into
nilmergs.

That the staff should be holy to Issaries, the god of travelers, is
obvious. It is the staff carried by a wanderer. It also doubles as a
weapon, but it is not is primary use. A trader in a campaign of mine
had a staff containg a magic spirit. It was NOT a Allied Spirit per
se; the spirit rented its magical services out to the user of the
staff in return for donations to Issaries temples and the opportunity
to learn magics from Issaries. The character, when he received a
large amount of money, donated large sums to the temples as
pre-payment for casting of spells in suitable situations.

I see that I will belong to a minority again, since I don't concur
with the weird technology vision of God Forgot. It is fun, but since
I've already used another (somewhat similar to that of Joerg
Baumgartner) I'll stick to that. Leonardo is an important figure in
my campaign, BTW, since he is the tutor to one of the characters. He
never makes more than one machine of the same kind, once he either
has perfected a design or become frustrated with it, and his
inventions are throughly unpractical. His work, like much other
performed by the idle rich of God Forgot, is an attempt to regain old
glories of their Brithini ancestors by rediscovering principles of
Logic, not create an industrial revolution of some kind. IMC he is very

similar to Archimedes as he is described in the curious Swedish
fantasy novel "V=E4gen genom A" ("The Way through A") which
unfortuneately have not been translated into English.

One thing that separates my God Forgoti ( :-) ) from Joerg's is that
they are all, in their way, sceptical philosophers, including the
peasants. When buying a piece of meat at the market, the butcher can
start describing his argument for animals not having souls (much
better than the common argument, he'll tell you). The farmers at the
inn will hold fevered debates regarding whether the Invisible God is
active in the world or not, and how. Yes, this is snatched from a
satirical description of Byzans I read somewhere, where they were
alll theologists according to a visitor.

Erik Sieurin