Re: Haitch is for Hero? NOT!

From: Loren Miller (loren@wharton.upenn.edu)
Date: Wed 08 Jan 1997 - 16:02:27 EET

Chris Lemens writes:

> I would not the same linguistic similarities that
> another thread noted sometime back about Umath (Ur-math), Humakt (Ur-makt),
> Orlanth (Ur-lanth), and (most blatantly) Urox (Ur-ox).
<snip>
> "Ernalda" seems awfully far spread for an earth mother figure.

Formerly I had believed that the letter H was the surefire giveaway
for Heroic figures on Glorantha (cv orlantH, argratH, Humakt, Harrek,
sartarH). Now I realize that UR is the surefire giveaway.

UR-rek
UR-grath
s-UR-tar
UR-math
UR-makt
UR-lanth
UR-ox
UR-nalda
UR-ilm
UR-kargzant
UR-zrelia

and trust the elder races to bollox everything up by putting the URs
at the end of some of their names

kyg-UR lit-UR
z-UR-ak z-UR-an
UR-gan UR-gar
xiola UR-mbar
UR-dryad = aldrya

Loren Miller <loren@wharton.upenn.edu>
A priest, a rabbi, a Penn student, and an elephant walk into
a bar. The bartender says, "what is this, some kind of joke?"