Oh Glorious Moon!

From: David Cake (davidc@cs.uwa.edu.au)
Date: Thu 09 Jan 1997 - 10:15:57 EET

>Forgive me if this has been answered a hundred times, but how does one
>determine the phase of the Red Moon for purposes of lunar magic, etc., if
>one is standing in the bottom of the Crater (or floating above the Crater,
>or looking down on the Red Moon from the Sky Dome, . . . )?

        Well, from a purely practical point of view - if you are directly
underneath, or even vaguely nearby, you are within the Glowline. And for
purposes of Lunar magic, it is thus always full.
        For the view from the Sky Dome, I suggest that this is a deep
heroquestish sort of matter. I think if you are directly above it and
somewhere within the Middle Air, its definately full.

        The related question, of what the phase of the Red Moon would have
been if you where standing directly underneath it before the creation of
the Glowline, is left as an exercise for the reader.

> I think that one *possible* explanation is when Yelm died, he split into
>three parts; Sedenya, the Red Goddess; Antirius, the Yellow part; Annila the
>Blue Moon.

        Utter madness and lies, against both Dara Happan Yelmic and Lunar
orthodoxy. Cool theory though. Perhaps we have a variant White Moonie
belief here? I think the White Moonies are perhaps not mad enough in our
current conception, and this is just the sort of thing to make the Imperial
authorities (and Lunar PCs) outraged. It is not, of course, correct
(wearing my orthodox Lunar hat).

        Cheers

                David