Gloranthan APA

From: Brian K. Curley (Master of Time & Space) (bkc@axle.adp.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri 10 Jan 1997 - 09:52:29 EET

Hi,

I am just wondering what kind of interest there might be in the US for a
Gloranthan APA. For those of you who aren't familiar with the concept,

APA stands for Amateur Press Alliance (or Association, depending on who
you ask) and it's like an amateur magazine. Each contributor writes a
"zine", copies it a number of times, and then mails it to a Central
Mailer (CM for short). The CM then collates the zines into one or more
volumes (usually referred to as a "mailing"), puts some sort of cover on
the whole thing, then mails the complete APA out to each member. The
costs for mailing the APA, copying covers, envelopes, etc, are split among
the members by way of a central fund. The CM maintains the central fund
and each member is responsible for keeping their balance positive by
periodically sending money to the CM. Of course, a list of accounts is
printed in each issue of the APA so you know when you're getting low.

Anyway, that's enough here. E-mail me if you have specific questions
about how an APA works.

Since I'm posing the question, I'd volunteer to be CM to start things off.
Usually an election is held every 2 years or so to pass the job around. I
was thinking of something clever like "Wind Words" (apologies to the Lunar
contingent but I'm unabashedly Orlanthi).

I know I said I was curious about US interest, but if anyone overseas is
interested, perhaps we can work something out to make international
participation viable. Anyway... please e-mail me at the address below if
you're interested. I think we'd need 20-25 people to make the idea fly.
And I was thinking of a frequency of about every 3 months (or 4 times a
year to start) and see how it goes from there.

Sorry to interrupt but this really does seem like the very best place to
reach the largest number of people.

Thanks,

Brian

+-------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
| Brian Curley | http://axle.doit.wisc.edu/~bkc/brian.html |
| | |
| DNRC Minister of Small- | Shame on you for thinking |
| Round-Things-That-Roll- | Who do you think you are |
| Out-Of-Reach-Under-The | You'll believe what we tell you |
| Desk | You little punk with a guitar |
| | |
| bkc@axle.doit.wisc.edu | - Spank, "Arliss Perry" |