swine goddess

From: Peter Metcalfe (P.Metcalfe@student.canterbury.ac.nz)
Date: Sun 12 Jan 1997 - 04:11:40 EET

Stephen Martin:
===============

>As does the form of the
>name Ernalda, touched on by the person (I don't remember who) who
>mentioned Remalada. Remalada is my linguistic attempt to link Ernalda and
>Mralota as originally having been the same deity.

I don't think this is credible. The Remalada occurs in Saird where
the Orlanthi were originally Goat and Sheep Herders. The Pig Goddess
there is VergEnari who comes from the Northeast. Mralota is the

Goddess of Pigs and comes from Maniria where the Haralding Orlanthi
there were hsunchen swine-cum-pig herders. Furthermore the Haraldings
were originally non-Orlanthi who acquired Orlanthi "ways" late compared

to the Vingkotlings (cf the KoS where Harand's ancestry is snubbed in
favour of descent from Orlanth). Hence I find it difficult to believe
that both tribes originally worshipped the same goddess.

- --Peter Metcalfe