Rune power variants

From: Michael C. Morrison 8-543-4706 (mmorrison@VNET.IBM.COM)
Date: Sat 18 Jan 1997 - 00:50:32 EET

I'm a little behind in my reading ...

Dave Cake suggested a way of handling the stacking problem with the
rune power system: number of points sac'd for is the stacking limit.
I have a different way of saying the same thing: each point of a
stacked spell is really a _different_ spell. If we'd had rune power
from the start, "Shield 1" would have been called something like
"Greater Protection", "Shield 2" maybe "Lesser Shield", "Shield 3"
could be "Shield of Orlanth", and "Shield 4" might be "Shield of
All Winds". The names are all one-offs I just made up, but it's
now clear that each spell is different and unique -- only similar
to us gamer-types, not to Gloranthans (except maybe GLs ...). Thus,

you sac for one use of each spell, and use your rune points to cast
any you had sac'd for (as I suggested).

I have to disagree with Nick's suggestion of using the square root
of a number of MPs for the points of a stackable spell. Too complex.
Another table to use and memorise (and abuse?). Sorry, Nick, but I
find my solution more elegant (in the mathematical sense). But, of
course I do :)

Paolo Guccione suggests that learning a spell is a (minor) heroquest.
I find this appealing, but find no reason to "suppose that you may
perform the Quest without sacrificing POW". If you don't sac POW,
your are an observer to the HQ, not a participant, and thus gain
none of the benefits. Just as an observer at a battle gains no

experience from the battle (no checks, in rulespeak). Now, it
might be important to observe several spell HQs before undertaking
your own so that you know superficially what to expect, but it
should be like visiting a university before enrolling -- useful,
but no indicator of your future success there!

Enough rules for now ... I need to catch up in my reading of the digest!

Michael
Michael C. Morrison Santa Teresa Laboratory Phone (408)463-4706
IMS User Technology IBM Software Solutions Fax (408)463-4101
Bitnet ID: MCM at VNET IBMLink: MORRISON@TORIBM
Internet ID: MMORRISON@VNET.IBM.COM or USIB47H4@IBMMAIL.COM
IBM Mail Exchange: USIB47H4 at IBMMAIL or USIB4MCM at IBMMAIL
X.400 Address: G=mcmgm; S=morrison; P=ibmmail; A=ibmx400; C=us

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #94

electronic retrieval.

lists.