Garrath? Garrath Sharpsword?

From: Thomas Doniol-Valcroze (tconrad@orbital.fr)
Date: Tue 21 Jan 1997 - 01:38:55 EET

Greetings everyone.

Nick Brooke:
- ------------
>...when Garrath Sharpsword (aka Argrath)...

Do you *mean* that Garrath Sharpsword is Argrath? Garrath?
Oh gee... The letters! Same letters! An anagram! I never noticed it.
Oh gee... How was I supposed to know? Why did nobody tell me!
I was right. This was all a big conspiracy. Everybody knew but me!

I used Garrath as one of these mentionned-but-not-described NPCs, to
put some more life in my Pavis. He met my players several times! What
am I going to tell them?

Oh g... Hey! Wait a minute! What did I just say? "What am I going to
tell them?" Hmm... If *I* was surprised, can you imagine *their*
reaction?

Them: "Garrath? Garrath Sharpsword? This nice-but-otherwise-not-so-
interesting weapon master? He is Argrath? He was Argrath the whole
time?"

Me: "Yes, indeed. Surprising, ain't it?"

Them: "And you *knew* about that the whole time, Thomas?"

Me: "Why, of course I did. I am the GameMaster after all..."

Them: "Well, you're a hell of a gamemaster, Thomas, because I never
suspected anything about that Garrath guy..."

So what do you think: in the HeroQuest called GameMastering, what is
important: Intent or Action?

Yours, Thomas.