HeroQuesting

From: Michael Cule (mikec@room3b.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue 21 Jan 1997 - 01:24:27 EET

Nick Effingham he say:

> Mike Cule writes:
>
> >In my draft HeroQuest rules (which I will complete Real Soon Now)
>
> In eager anticipation.

Don't hold your breath.....

> >I distinguish between acting as/becoming a Hero and HeroQuesting. The
> latter is when >you try to follow a path already blazed through the
> HeroPlane by some earlier traveller
> >whether God or Hero.
>
> Here is what I have managed to gather about my own humble conceptions of
> Free Will and HeroQuesters:
>
> Free Will, or just Will, is a measure of the character's internal being. It
> is a measure of the character's connection to the world of the transcendent
> (the world of myth) and their connection to the Universal Truth. It also
> represents a Hero and their capability to "reach for the trandmundane" -- to
> break free of normal social, cultural and magical constraints and join the
> ranks of the HeroQuesters by mastering their own being. It is to the world
> of the transcendent as POW is to the world of the magical, and STR, CON and
> SIZ are to the world of the physical realm. Only HeroQuesters have Free
> Will, any other being may have Will but is unable to use it (and therefore
> it is not "free").

Well, I agree up to the last paragraph. In my concept of Will all mortal beings
have Free Will. A character would start with his original POW score as Will
and gain it by mastering the world around him. In game terms there would be
Will gains on Mastering skills. (Persons connected to the Infinity Rune gain
multipliers on their Will but that is very rare.)

> A person who is not a Hero, and not bound by the laws of the magical realm,
> can *generate* free Will. However, they are unable to use it. This means
> that if Joe Bloggs the Toilet Cleaner arrives on the HeroPlane he cannot
> compete in any of the mystical contests that take place, so a normal mortal
> cannot steal Yelmalio's Fire Powers. However, he can generate his own free
> Will.

In my concept a single normal mortal can act on the HeroPlane but he hasn't
much chance of success. He hasn't either accumulated much personal Will and
he hasn't a Ring of supporters back on the Mundane Plane channelling support
to him. A mortal can alter the HeroPlane alone (Harrek did!) but his chances
aren't great.

> Free Will is accumulated by demonstrating Mastery of your own self and
> inner potential and poweress etc.... This is translated into game terms as
> cult rank -- a rune lord, priest or shaman has demonstrated control over a
> realm of relaity i.e. the priest of magic, the sorceror over the world of
> Logic. The accumulation of skills also shows the mastery of one's inner
> power. Other ways do exist, and include cultural benefits and Illumination.

I thought about giving Will bonuses on Initiation and reaching Rune Level but
eventually decided that they would be used to measure connection to the Runes.

> A person may at some point go from beinga Toilet Cleaner into becoming a
> HeroQuester. At this point they can use Free Will but cannot generate it.
> There are no game rules to cover this translation, although some cultures
> use rituals in the same way as a child becomes an adult, they use a ritual
> to denote a mortal becoming a HeroQuester. A HeroQuester becomes bound by
> the benefits and geases of the mythical world. While they can gain great
> power they do so at the risk of their own free Will -- their own individuality.

I resist this idea (that there are seperate statuses for mere mortals and
HeroQuesters) except that KoS mentions a 'HeroQuest initation' somewhere.

But I agree that the risk of using up Will on the HeroPlane is this: you can
no longer use it on the Mundane Plane.

> A HeroQuester loses Free Will by trading it or using it on HeroQuests. They
> loose it by gaining geases, taking upon themselves obligations etc.. such as
> cult ties, long standing oaths, taking promises to rid the Cosmos of chaos....

Hmmm, interesting. I was thinking that Will becomes bound up in the changes you
make. The cosmos is just the solidified Will of those who created it and shaped
it.

> They loose it as they loose control of their own actions, therefore an
> Uroxi with the Beserkergang ability would loose Free Will as they can no
> longer control their own personality. Harrek looses Free Will due to the
> overpowering effect of the Polar Bear Skin. As a HeroQuester gains greater
> mastery over a certain Rune, they loose their own self control as they
> become more integrated with the Rune, this affects personality traits which
> in turn affect Free Will.

The more of your Will bound into the HeroPlane, the more rigid the behaviour on
the Mundane Plane.

> They loose it by having a Hero Cult and worshippers, as all people who have
> worshippers are influenced by their cult. If their cultists begin to turn to
> chaos, as will the Hero unless ahe has the Will to resist.

Yes, I agree. Will has to be used to expand the cult at each ceremony that
makes new Initiates and Priests. If your cult is to grow the Hero must
eventually give up mortal life and transcend the mundane world. Some can
keep their cult small but powerful. Harrek, Sir Ethilrist and Cragspider are
examples.

> A Quester uses Free Will in various ways. A HeroPath that involves strange
> mythical acts such as a Trickster path wherein two similar people manage to
> evade Death by turning into each other and confusing him might use Will
> rather than magic. [List other mythical acts involving Will loss]
> Will can be used when two HeroPowers come into opposition. For instance, a
> Trickster using his Silent Boots trying to sneak past the Ever-Listening
> Demon of Hell might require a Will match. Harrek the Berserk using the
> Inifinty Rune to nullify the Red Emperor's innate ressurection is another
> example, as is a Hero trying to affect a True Dragon with her ability to
> blind anybody upon sight.
> If Will is lost, that loss is permanent. It NEVER regenerates.

I distinguish between temporary burning of Will to gain once-only effects (like
Magic Points) and the permanent loss of it either by theft or by binding it
into the cosmos to gain permanent effects.

It can be regained at the cost of new Masteries and it can be donated by the
Hero's companions and Ring. But that ain't easy.

> A HeroQuester only ever gains Free Will rarely, but must do so or fall foul
> to the same problems gods suffer from.
> Free Will can be gained in gambles against the Trickster, in Quests against
> the Trickster and other Trickster related paths and items grant Free Will as
> the Trickster is the well-spring of all Will due to the nature of his being
> as a force of change and disorder.
> HeroQuester's can win Will of other HeroQuester's in magical contests.
> Since Will comes from the Chaosium, a part where reality connects with the
> Void outside, a HeroQuester can undergo dangerous HeroQuests to reach there.

Ummmm, I have never heard of the Chaosium as being connected to the world of
Glorantha other than in a publishing sense.

> ____________
>
> Sorry if this is a bit out of place, it was meant as an insertion into an
> already existing set of HQ rules.
>
> Mike Cule talks about using CCG's and their ilk as a form of HQing. While
> this idea has been mentioned a few times before I would like to know how it
> could be successfully carried off.

Nope, twern't me. It is an intriguing idea..... But I'm not sure that the
collectable format will work.

- --
Michael Cule
Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop of the Far Isles Medeival Society
Motto Nulla Spes Sit In Resistando (Resistance is Useless)
Ask me about The Far Isles: Better Living Through Pan Historic Anachronisms