Raven Trickster, Apology, HQing

From: Stephen P Martin (ilium@juno.com)
Date: Tue 21 Jan 1997 - 09:01:25 EET

"Erik Sieurin" <BV9521@utb.hb.se>
Ralian Ravens and ZZZ (Zorak Zorani Zombies)

>I thought of the Raven as the Scout of Humath, who first found Death
>for him - and as a presage of him becoming Trickster, or perhaps he
>everywhere IS the Trickster, I envisage him as wise-cracking and
>sarcastic, the down-to-earth counterpart to Humath's honour and
>serene attittude, the Falstaff to Humath's Henry iV (? forgot his
>number).

This is somewhat how I envisioned it, though I did not see the Trickster
connection. Both the wolves and the ravens strike me as a very Odinesque
thing, so they would be more appropriate in a land where Humakt is more
of a barbarian type. Ralios does fit.

I also note that Raven is a form which we know Eurmal takes on occasion
(old myth of release of fire from Underworld puts Eurmal in the shape of
a raven for at least part of his flight from the guardians), so this
Trickster link seems appropriate in that context as well.

My Eight Planets

Sorry for the nasty effect the tabs had on this message. But I don't
think I could have done much in advance to prevent it.

HeroQuesting

Has anyone out there looked to Nephilim as a source of HeroQuesting
mechanics or ideas? When Chaosium was first working on Nephilim, Greg
mentioned to me that he thought the authors of Nephilim had originally
been trying to develop a set of HQ rules, and had ended up with Nephilim
instead.

Stephen Martin
ilium@juno.com
The Book of Drastic Resolutions