Rites of Passage, Truestone

From: Philip Hibbs (101621.1264@CompuServe.COM)
Date: Wed 29 Jan 1997 - 20:07:09 EET

Arf:
>whom would the SB lose his ear to? Would he have to fight a chaos foe,
>lose the ear, nearly die, and be healed by an Eiritha priestess before
>whacking the foe and retreating? At this point, the Initiation begins to
>me to sound like a heroquest.

Sounds a bit risky to me, initiation rites tend to be more along the lines of
deliberate mutilations, or carefully-controlled situations with limited chance
of actual death. I seem to remember Apple Lane starting off with an initiation
rite, a sort of gladiatorial contest between the young men, with much healing
nearby, including resurrection.

Lantis:
>Nobody at the Celestial Court used magic. After all, the Spike
>would suck all the spells away.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply I gave some digests ago:
>IMO, Truestone has this effect because it sees Divine magic as a breach of
>the Compromise, and tries to take it away from the holder.

>the inhabitants of the area near the Block don't bother
>with rune spells either. After all, there is a .1% chance of being
>struck by a grain of blank truestone sand each day

Where do you get that figure from? Maybe Truestone loses its properties at
really small size? Maybe it is not possible (due to the laws of quantum
truestone dynamics) for it to exist at this size? (Stephen P Martin's Quantum
Truestone suggestion is parallel evolution to this!)

>Blank truestone is particularily prized by spys and assasins. Put a single
>grain into food or drink, and the victim will lose all their spells!

First of all you have to find a single grain, you can't grind the stuff up, and
they wouldn't actually *lose* the spells until some time the next day when
nature runs its course... >:-O (disgusted smiley)

phibbs@csi.compuserve.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PHibbs
| Phil Hibbs | What immortal hand or eye dare frame thy fearful symmetry? |