minor yelm

From: Peter Metcalfe (P.Metcalfe@student.canterbury.ac.nz)
Date: Thu 30 Jan 1997 - 10:46:58 EET

Chris Wehman:
=============

>Avarnia&Tholm(Falconers)

Avarnia is the goddess of quails and a food goddess.

>If Yuthubars was a city then Yelm himself was the god of that
>particular city.

Not quite. They worshipped the Sun. The name Yelm is merely a
label which the Dara Happans have given him and exists post-dawn.
The Sun does not care what name people know him by so long as he
is worshipped. He has been known as Kargzant, Somash, Elmal and
Antirius. Thus we cannot assume that the GRAY is correct when
it tells us that the God was known as Yelm in Yuthubars.

[Sagittus]

>So in my frame of reference they would put him in the role of a servant of
>Yelm, whereas you would say he *is* Yelm the Archer. I think that the
>reason this doesn't occur is because there are separate myths in a
>GRoY/Yelmgatha caused Dara Happan revival and the people are located near
>enough to the places where this stuff supposedly happened.

In Dara Happa, most scholars know that the myths they have are not
gospel. They have been changed by confused memories during the Great
Darkness. It's not the Yelmgatha revival that set up the Yelm myths
but the original Khordavu Dynasty. They knew that 'Yelm' had done
many things before the Great Darkness and sort to combine many myths
to arrive at what they thought was the original cult that had been
lost.

So Sagittus was a local cult of archers - but they transformed him
by including other archer mythos into his rituals to make him into
a part of Yelm that had been lost to them. So Sagittus is a servant
of Yelm in that he guards Yelm's archery secrets but he is also
Yelm in his Archery manifestation.

- --Peter Metcalfe