evil emperor and occam

From: Peter Metcalfe (P.Metcalfe@student.canterbury.ac.nz)
Date: Tue 18 Feb 1997 - 11:19:28 EET

David Dunham:
=============

Me>> the Orlanthi and Yelmic
>> mythology ... accepted Yelm as the Emperor and Orlanth as the
>> Rebel even though such names were not present in the original
>> myth *and* more likely suspects can be found elsewhere.

>I've been wondering for some time who the original Emperor was, whose
>stale order Orlanth had to rebel against. Who's more likely than Yelm?

Er, I was thinking of the Pelorian suspect for the Rebel, but I'll
try and answer this.

Yelm is the ideal Emperor for Orlanthi Society as it is now. IMO,
the original archetype of the evil ruler in Orlanthi Society was
the harsh clan tyrant rather than the foreign solar ruler. Lokaymadon
comes closest to this in modern orlanthi mythological terms.

Given that Ernalda is the wife of the Evil Ruler who is now married
to Orlanth, it has struck me that perhaps the Evil Ruler was originally
somebody related to her. Now there is a mythical figure called Erlandus
who is known and detested by the Dara Happans and he apparently comes
from Brolia which Erlanda, Lokaymadon's wife, also originates. So
perhaps the original evil ruler was Erlandus or Ernaldus or even

Ernanth.

Martin Crim:

>What's the Dara Happan answer to William of Occam?

The Materialist or Mundanist School. Possibly derived from the
Karsdevanic Clarifiers but they take much of their methodolgy
from the Wizards of the West.

- --Peter Metcalfe