orlanth

From: Peter Metcalfe (P.Metcalfe@student.canterbury.ac.nz)
Date: Fri 21 Feb 1997 - 11:02:55 EET

Joerg Baumgartner:
==================

>>So perhaps the original evil ruler was Erlandus or Ernaldus or even
>>Ernanth.

>Foreign ruler yes, though not necessarily solar?

I don't believe that the Old Ruler was foreign and I don't believe that
he had to be Solar. Neither Uranus nor Kronos are sun dieties. What
I'm trying to say is that the archetype of liberator killing tyrant
and bringing better days was one that occurred _within_ the tribe
(like Hamlet might kill Claudius and marry the Queen) and not as a
result of foreign conquest or imigration.

Your desolarized myth sounds fine but I would say that the wife of
the uncle was the old king's wife thus emphasizing the right to
rule via marrying the Queen. Prudish types may make Orlanth marry
the eldest duaghter of the Queen. But this is only IMO.

>Does this mean that the evil uncles were all common in early Orlanthi myth?
>Think of the initiation myth in KoS.

I recall that the one of the songs that the Windlord is required to
sing when encountering a Solar priest calls the latter a 'jealous uncle'.
There must be something in this.

- --Peter Metcalfe