Unhelpful Yelmalios

From: Thomas Gottschall (Telmori@t-online.de)
Date: Thu 01 May 1997 - 10:56:15 EEST

Hi everyone,

Nick asked:

> Follow-on question: if a Light Son orders his hundred troops to help an
> Orlanthi village, and one of them has this geas, how does he reconcile the
> military need to obey orders with the divine prohibition? Would you expect
> him to go immediately to the commander and say why he can't help? And what
> would the commander's reaction most likely be? (Especially if in a
> stressful situatuon)? I don't think a Templar would "quietly disobey" (do
> nothing, in defiance of orders), but I'd be interested to hear how other
> GMs and players would resolve this situation. Is "Sorry, Sir, but I can't
> do that: I have a geas!" something you'd often hear from the ranks of the
> Sun Dome Templars?

When a player has this geas and says it to his commander the commander
could reply : "Listen, you are not breaking your vows because you are
not helping the Orlanthi but you are helping me. I never wanted you to
help them, I just demand that you obey me. So let's kill this broos for
Yelmalios sake !"

It like the Compromise, the God acts indirectly through his followers,
thus he does not break the Compromise. The soldier helps only his
commander and not the Orlanthi. It would be different thing if the
commander had this geas.

bye