Re: Battle Magic

From: Joerg Baumgartner (joe@toppoint.de)
Date: Tue 06 May 1997 - 22:32:00 EEST

Peter Metcalfe on Paolo's comments to Greg's description of Battle Magic:
>I think I was debating that westernized Orlanthi would have more
>control over their magic than the standard Orlanthi. However it's
>a bit moot as the above description of battle magic looks
>suspiciously like the RQ3 sorcery rules!

Except for the bits about manipulation. From the Good Old RQ2 rules (not
that I ever used them in play) Battle Magic was learned like this, from

cults and guilds. IMO that's fine for urban Orlanthi, and the "Theist" cults
could vary from near-RQ3 sorcery "Battle" Magic to "Animist" Spirit Magic or
even Spirit Helper Magics. I never was comfortable about the urban shamans
needed to teach craft guilds' spirit spells, or their special version of
RQ3's divine spell Spellteaching.

Also, this continuity is necessary to enable Stygian magics to remain
somewhat "uniform" towards their users.