Finding Oneself.

From: Alex Ferguson (abf@interzone.ucc.ie)
Date: Wed 07 May 1997 - 06:15:44 EEST

Lorne D. Booker suggests, evidently with an straight face:

> Locate Self

Am I alone in picturing a large arrow dangling from a string, clearly
marked "You are here", pointing unerringly at the caster? If the
awards nominations are still open, I propose this one for the
Uroxi Weather Stones Memorial Award commemorating magical light
relief...

On a more serious note, I'm not sure I care for the "magical triangulation"
idea. Making it too easy to navigate has a somewhat "anachronistic" feel,
and it seem to presuppose that one can readily obtain two "compasses" which
point to conveniently separated loci within the inner world (and a
arbitrary third, either within or outwith same). Granted the precedent of

Magastropic tin needles, and temple-locating magic, I'd still prefer to
fudge the issue by making the first effect unique, and the latter one of
too limited range and/or accuracy to allow reproduction of Ga-esque
Positioning Systems type effects.

Good night, and good luck,
Alex.
- --