writing and shamanism

From: Peter Metcalfe (P.Metcalfe@student.canterbury.ac.nz)
Date: Thu 08 May 1997 - 07:29:22 EEST

Thomas Gottschall:
==================

>Writing is far less developed (if at all) in shamanistic societies. I
>think the reason herefore is that shamans are able to summon spirits of
>predecessors and divine and sorcery societies don't.

I don't think so as the Lunars and the Orlanthi are also able
to do similar tricks. The Lunars can talk to Valare Addi and
Plentonius whereas the Ty Kora Tek writeup has summon ghost.

The real division between non-literate and literate cultures is
their oral history rather the ability to speak to ancestors.
But oral culture does not imply shamanism insofar as the Orlanthi
who are non-literate are not a shamanistic culture.

- --Peter Metcalfe