Re: Pentan deities; Lore; Writing

From: David Dunham (dunham@pensee.com)
Date: Fri 09 May 1997 - 04:34:59 EEST

As for whether the Pentans worship Orlanth and Yelm, while the God Learners
did have it right, I think even they would have admitted (if they visited
Pent) that the West King Wind mask and the Kargzant mask aren't the same
masks worshipped in Dragon Pass and Dara Happa. Is suspect the magic
available from the different masks is different. Probably the God Learners
would try to combine and simplify the different masks, and gain all the
powers that could be gained from the core Orlanth and Yelm.

Michael Cule wondered

> What is the difference between Glorantha Lore and World Lore?

Apart from the difficulty of finding the definition of the former, World
Lore is a vaguely scientific skill (including not only meteorology but
bridge design), while Glorantha Lore is the accumulation of knowledge.

Thomas Gottschall wrote

> Writing is far less developed (if at all) in shamanistic societies

I believe Genghis Khan's Mongols were considered shamanistic, yet he had an
alphabet developed to write Mongolian.

I suspect shamans do practice some sort of archival storage, even if not
writing -- drawing pictures of spirits they know, for example.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham@pensee.com>