Plumbing.

From: Alex Ferguson (abf@interzone.ucc.ie)
Date: Fri 09 May 1997 - 19:29:58 EEST

Andrew Joelson quibbles about L. Jardine's Lead Compasses/Plumb Lines:

> Lewis also makes comments on the needs of builders. I suggest that masons
> use a real plumb line; a weight on a string. Then a propituary prayer
> to keep the winds from blowing and swinging it.

The point is, I think, that a "real plumb line" _is_ a piece of lead
on a string. Having it "properly enchanted" ought to just make it work
_better_ at the job it already does, not have some whizz-bang effect
like pointing at the nearest morokanth. (IMGO.)

Ed Tonry:
> Um, no. [...] two compasses do work just fine

Argh! Just when we had Thomas convinced. If anyone else thinks this,
try the following.

Suppose you're in a closed room, so you have no external visual clues
(like the position of the sun), and your "compasses" point as follows:

              Pavis

                ^

                .------> Magasta's Pool

Where in the world are you?